Microsoft gave a preview of the upcoming “Mango” release of Windows Phone, through a series of events around the world.
Mango is set to provide 500 new features and enhance the smartphone experience dramatically.
Communications: Easier to Connect and Share
- Deeper social network integration.
- Linked inbox
- Hands-free messaging
- App Connect
- Improved Live Tiles
- Internet Explorer 9.
- Local Scout
- Bing on Windows Phone
- Quick Cards
Some of the developer centric features are:
- Background processing
- New profiler and emulator for testing
- Use of Silverlight + XNA together
- Silverlight 4
- IE9 web browser control
- Live Tile enhancements: use of back of tiles and ability to update Live Tiles locally
- Deep linking into apps from notifications and Live Tiles
- Additional sensors; direct camera access, compass & gyro
- Fast application switching
- Networking / sockets for communications
- Local SQL database for structured storage
- Access to calendar and contacts for apps
Video: Press Conference